Paboco, The Paper Bottle Company, has launched full-scale production for its paper-based bottle product at its manufacturing site in Slangerup, Denmark – aspiring to produce over 20 million fibre-based bottles by the end of 2025. 

The ‘Next Gen Paper Bottle’ does, however, still contain a plastic element – which the company describes as a “minimal barrier solution”. According to Paboco, the solution is 85% paper, with the remaining 15% consisting of an HDPE barrier; however, the exact percentages vary depending on the bottle shape and intended application. 

Reportedly, its layers are recyclable in the paper packaging stream, where they are separated depending on the national collection and recycling system.  

Paboco says that the bottle is durable, splash-resistant, and applicable to premium products. Although it is initially designed for beauty and homecare brands, it is envisioned for applications in the premium spirits, food and beverage, vitamins and pills, and pet care sectors, among others.  

Brands are also given the option to choose between standard paper bottles or bespoke designs to match their brand identities, including the option to emboss or deboss its surface for an enhanced tactile experience. 

Paboco has partnered with Pioneer Community members The Absolut Group, Carlsberg Group, The Coca-Cola Company, L’Oréal, and Procter & Gamble since 2021. ALPLA recently became the new majority shareholder of Paboco and, as a result, the company anticipates accelerated growth. 

Initially, a minimum of 10,000 bottles are set to be produced for beauty care, vitamins and supplements, and pet care and food applications in a larger-scale production process. This will eventually progress to include smaller batches and additional categories. 

“This is a fantastic opportunity for conscious brands and consumers looking to make a real difference,” says Paboco CEO Tim Silbermann.  

“The Next Gen Paper Bottle marks a milestone in our journey towards a fully biobased paper bottle. With ALPLA’s backing and our focus on full-scale production, we’re transitioning from an innovation pioneer to a progressive business, ready to fill our order books.  

“Ultimately, we are here to make a sustainable impact and start a movement by placing paper bottles in the hands of every consumer. 

“After years of innovation and successful collaborations, we are now prepared to launch the Next Gen Paper Bottle on a larger scale. I welcome more conscious brands that want to join us in changing this industry for good.” 

In similar news, Rottneros AB has invested in and become a co-owner of Blue Ocean Closures. The partnership is set to further develop Blue Ocean Closures’ large-scale production of fibre-based closures for consumer packaging and help phase out plastic closures worldwide. 

Meanwhile, Rypax and CelluComp claim to have developed the first all-fibre bottle solution with a biodegradable, plant-based inner coating. It utilizes bamboo, bagasse, CelluComp’s microfibrillated cellulose product made from the root vegetable product waste stream, with the pulp serving as a replacement for a plastic liner. 

If you liked this article, you might also enjoy:

The Lidl approach to packaging sustainability

How did Brazil achieve its 100% aluminium can recycling rate – and can it be replicated in the EU?

Experts have their say on the EU’s Packaging and Packaging Waste Directive revisions

A deep dive into the most important packaging sustainability trends and solutions