Jabil, Inc. has announced the grand opening of its Blue Sky Innovation Center - Tortosa, strategically co-located with its manufacturing plant in Tortosa, Spain, to provide pan-European support for advanced packaging customers across the continent.
The second of its kind in the world (Blue Sky - San Jose opened in April 2015) and the only one in Europe, Jabil’s new 5,600m2 facility aims to enable competitive innovation for customers by helping them compress product lifecycles, respond more quickly to changing market demands and reduce the risks and costs associated with design, supply and manufacturing. Combined with a recent production floor expansion at its manufacturing plant, Blue Sky - Tortosa is anticipated to support the employment of more than 400 people in the region, with the addition of 80 more jobs following its complete build out.
“In this tremendously competitive digital age, Jabil’s customers are locked in a daily race to invent, disrupt, enhance, prototype and produce new product experiences more quickly than ever,” said Erich Hoch, CEO of Jabil Packaging Solutions. “With the launch of our new Blue Sky Center in Tortosa, customers will have powerful technologies and expertise at their fingertips to drive game changing advancements in their product lines. It’s innovation at the speed of digital.”
The Tortosa Center’s unique array of cutting-edge technologies, automation, analytics and expertise targets European customers tasked with developing advanced packaging for the consumer goods, food and beverage, consumer health and industrial/professional market segments. Among the digital-era design and manufacturing resources that the center offers:
• Europe’s first and only Jabil Control Tower, driving world-class Intelligent Digital Supply Chain decision support for customers
• A test zone for prototype development, as well as digital prototype and 3D printing capabilities that cut the time-to-market for new product introductions in half
• State-of-the-art high capacity injection mold equipment
• A leading-edge lab for product development and mold design and construction
• Jabil’s Plastics Technology Learning Center and course work for advanced plastics education
• A world-class Customer Engagement Center, showroom and projection experience that highlights Packaging trends and advances as well as Smart Packaging Technologies
• New 1,600m2 molds and matrices production center
• A Jabil Technology and Capability Showcase
“Jabil Blue Sky - Tortosa reflects the value of the whole of Jabil with a commitment to driving game-changing innovation for our customers – all under one roof in two uniquely valuable centers on the US and European coasts,” added Hoch. “Our Blue Sky Centers are gateways to disruptive innovation for our customers. With 1600+ capabilities – the opportunities are endless!”